Have you been noticing an odd smell in your home environment on a regular basis? Is it constantly on the damp side in certain areas of your business? Does someone in your family only sneeze and cough when they are inside your home? If you answered yes to any of these questions, you may have a serious problem. The key to effectively eliminating it is through mold remediation.
There are two food sources that these sometimes-deadly spores love most – oxygen and moisture. They gorge themselves on both until they have taken over your home environment. They can grow on almost anything such as carpet, food, wood, and even paper products.
You may be wondering just what causes the moisture. Well, out-of-control humidity, construction code changes over the years, and even building materials, which have changed, and unnoticed leaks are some of the culprits that allow this uninvited guest to take up residence. But, don’t panic!
A reputable mold remediation company will have special testing and removal procedures, which will effectively solve your problem. Highly skilled technicians have been trained to contain the unwanted spores and follow-up with a proven and effective sanitizing process. Applying a substance, which will essentially hinder future growth, will complete the procedure.
Let’s look at some ways spore growth can be prevented.
1. Have a plumber thoroughly check your house inside and out and repair any leaky areas ASAP.
2. Keep an eye out for condensation on any surface and control the humidity level with a de-humidifier. Insulate areas that are prone to high moisture content.
3. Add vents or regularly clean existing ones in your home’s crawl space.
4. Check your HVAC unit drip pan and clean it, if necessary.
5. Your dryer can produce moisture and should be vented to the outside of your home.
6. At least twice a year, have a trained HVAC technician inspect and maintain your unit.
7. If you notice any moisture or wet spots anywhere, clean them up immediately.
8. Check the foundation of your home and, if possible, provide run off areas so moisture doesn’t find a place to live.
Some spores are very sneaky and enjoy hiding out, and it is extremely dangerous when they are discovered. For example, wallpaper removal can open up a huge release of spores and must be handled in a professional manner by using a mold remediation specialist.
A few other favorite hiding spots are the reverse side of carpets, ceiling tiles, and panels. The bad thing is that most of the time when you smell the foul odor, but you can’t see the cause, that’s when spores are playing hide and seek.
Unfortunately, they are often discovered after many unsuccessful trips to the doctor to find out why you have uncontrollable allergies.
Unchecked mold growth can have many negative side effects both to your health and to the contamination your home or business will endure. It’s definitely not something you want to ignore.