If you are planning to build a new home or renovating your old home, one important job you can do is installing under floor insulation. In the beginning of construction, the builder should ask all subcontractors to keep spaces between floor joists clear. Under floor covering increases the energy-efficiency of a building. This article offers some effective tips to do under floor covering in your home.
- Let the ductwork, electrical wiring and drain lines run under the insulation, to install a continuous covering layer. If you stay in a region that has freezing winters, supply plumbing is present inside the lining, to increase the protection. The best technique is to let the supply plumbing run together within a few spaces of joists. Split the lining and let it be around the plumbing.
- Seal all air leaks in the crawl space and the home’s air-conditioned area. The most troublemaking leaks are penetrations for ductwork, plumbing and electrical wiring, plenum for ductwork and holes around drain lines and bathtub drains.
- Insulate the band joist space between the floor and air ducts, as the space permits. Use insulation hangers and place them at a space of 12 to 18 inches from each other, for holding the floor insulation properly. This will prevent the lining’s getting compressed over 1 inch.
- The vapor barrier’s orientation should depend on the climate and place of your home. Mostly, the vapor barrier faces up. However, in regions with hot summers and mild winters, the vapor barrier should face down.
- Cover all the ductwork inside the crawl space.
- Insulate all cold and hot water lines inside the crawl space, unless they are present inside the lining.
- Close the crawl space vents after making sure that the construction materials inside the crawl space and the crawl space area are clean. To cover truss floor systems, consider installing foam board insulation or netting to the floor trusses’ underside. Then, fill the resultant space within the insulation or netting and the sub-floor using loose-fill insulation.
- Do the covering carefully, without leaving any gaps. Gaps will lead to loss of energy from the building and thus, lower the warmth. There are many companies that offer insulation services in properties. They can suggest you what building insulation materials you should use for your home. Remember that the material you choose for insulation will influence the lining’s quality to a large extent.
With these tips, you can carry out under floor insulation successfully. Such insulation will make your home more energy-efficient than before, and will increase its value. Hire professionals who have experience in lining buildings, to work for you. Enjoy warmth at your home in the winters by insulating your property well.